We’re at a critical tipping point in the restoration of the West and Rhode Rivers. Our rivers are under constant pressure from pollution and development, but we’re making progress in improving water quality as measured by data gathered by our citizen-scientist volunteers.
We now need your help to keep that momentum going in order to protect your rivers, your investment in your property, your community and your family’s quality of life.
Protecting our rivers requires hard work and commitment. The West & Rhode Riverkeeper is the only organization solely dedicated to doing this work for our local waterways. We receive no operating support from the state or county, and we rely almost entirely on donations to make it possible for us to do this work for you.
This past year, support from our contributing members helped us protect our rivers by:
- completing a stream restoration project on Muddy Creek that will keep sediment pollution from entering the Rhode River;
- designing a stormwater treatment project at Holly Hill Harbor that will stop pollution in Bear Neck Creek;
- creating a wetland to reduce flooding in properties in the Avalon Shores community and prevent pollution from entering the West River;
- fighting illegal development near the Franklin Manor community in Churchton in partnership with SACReD and CBF. The pro-bono work by our attorneys to defend the Critical Areas laws in this case is worth more than $100,000 so far. Failure to win this case will open up shorelines around the Bay to other developers;
- working with DNR and Anne Arundel County to expand public access to the water at Franklin Point State Park and Discovery Village in Shady Side.
- all the while advocating for better environmental policies, helping to enforce environmental law, staging community-building programs, and keeping sewage from our rivers by providing pump-out service to recreational boats.
We need your help now to continue our work to make our rivers fishable, crab-able and paddle-able. Please click here to make a secure donation on line. Thank you for your support!
|< Prev||Next >|