What: ChesaTreks presents: Jug Bay Wetland Ecology by Canoe
Where: Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Road, Lothian, MD 20711
When: Saturday, October 8, 2016
Time: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Admission: $50 per person, including canoe and picnic lunch
Join Jug Bay naturalists on a guided canoe journey on the Patuxent River on Saturday, October. 8, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The tour is the latest in the West & Rhode Riverkeeper’s adventure series, ChesaTreks, providing a fun on-the-water nature experience followed by a picnic and discussion. An admission fee of $50 per person includes canoe, life jacket and paddle, plus a picnic lunch.
Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, operated by Anne Arundel County Department of Recreation and Parks, consists of 1,700 acres of open water, tidal freshwater marshes, forested wetlands, upland and riparian forest, creeks, meadows, pine and sand barrens, and fields along the tidal reaches of the Patuxent River.
Its network of habitats, including its extensive tidal freshwater wetlands, provides a safe environment to a high diversity of plants, invertebrates, birds, fish, reptiles, and mammal species. The National Audubon Society has designated the Sanctuary as a Nationally Important Bird Area.
A rich archaeological history tells the story of Native Americans living at Jug Bay nearly 10,000 years ago. Pig Point, only a mile from the Sanctuary, contains Maryland's oldest archaeological artifacts.
What you need to know:
Age Requirement: 7 and up. Children under 16 are required to have at least one adult in the canoe. Two adults per child are recommended for children between 7 and 10.
Duration: 4 hours. This includes orientation, paddling instructions, one-mile hike to launch site, launching canoes, and paddling, followed by a picnic lunch. Time on the river is about 2 to 2.5 hours.
Participants arriving later than 15 minutes after the program start time may not be able to participate. Please be courteous and arrive on time.
Private canoes and kayaks are not permitted. You may bring your own paddles or Coast Guard approved PFD if you wish.
Be Prepared! What to Bring:
- Plenty of drinking water or other liquids.
- Snack to eat on the water.
- Broad-brimmed hat
- Synthetic clothing that dries quickly and shoes that can get wet
- Optional: binoculars and camera.
- Remember we will be on the water and personal items may get wet. Canoes can tip over, paddles drip water into the canoes, and feet can get wet when entering or exiting the canoe. We claim no liability for personal items or electronic equipment (cell phones included) that are damaged during the canoe trip.
- Recommended: Waterproof dry bag to protect expensive electronic items from water.
- It is an easy one-mile walk to the canoe launch site (River Pier) so you may wish to wear comfortable walking shoes before changing into paddling "wettable" shoes at the launch site.
Directions to Jug Bay from Annapolis (Do NOT follow your GPS!)
1361 Wrighton Road, Lothian, MD 20711
From West St. at Parole, take Route 2 south 18 miles. At the Lothian "circle" go 3/4 of the way around and stay on Route 2. Go past the fire station, schools and St. James Church (on left) until the next stoplight at Route 258; go right (west) on Rt. 258. Continue on Route 258 for 4.5 miles until this ends near the "Park and Ride" just after crossing over Route 4. At the stop sign, turn onto Wrighton Rd. and continue for 1.5 miles to Sanctuary entrance on LEFT. Follow the gravel drive about 1 mile to the parking area for the Wetlands Center.
|< Prev||Next >|